Thursday, August 19, 2010

August 19th, 2010: Orientation/Move In/Meet Cortney

So today was my second day "at" UNLV.


Yesterday (I didn't have wireless and the hotel, hence why I didn't post anything), my sister helped my mom and I run around campus to get all the last minute stuff done, and then we went and got my books... my English one, no joke, says "Text Message" on the cover. :D

So now for today:
As I was saying it was my second day "at" UNLV.

Orientation:
So, first off... get on campus and mom and I follow (from far away) this other mom/daughter group... when they catch on to the fact that we're following them, we talk a little. Ends up the daughter is also majoring in dance. How lucky was that?
Then when I was sitting in the "ballroom" with mom, I looked to my left... I swear I was surrounded by guys. Look back at mom with my "I don't know what to do about this look" and all she can say is "some things never change".
When the separation of students and parents was made, I automatically knew that this means "ice breakers"... my least favorite part of anything (especially the circle one where you try to sit on each others laps... ugh). We did the one where you say your name, an interesting fact about yourself, and make up a dance move... then you have to try to remember every one's who went before you. I was the 6th person, and I couldn't think of a dance move... so I just do the Crip Walk... go figure, no one can do it.
Then we did a VERY small tour of the HUGE campus.
Then had lunch, and I got to know Tasha (Annastasha) and Casey. Both amazingly cool people. (Casey is from Maine!) So talked to them during lunch, and it was hilarious...
Then Casey and I kinda clung to each other 'cause of the whole "out of state student" automatic bond that happened.
Then Casey and I skipped out on the registration part of the "tour" (because her and I registered for classes online), so we became Rebels (haha, funny 'cause that's the UNLV's mascot but I was talking as in "breaking the rules") and we went to go get our Rebel card (student I.D. and literally your life card), my picture turned out rather good.


Move In:
Getting into the dorm is this huge process which is hilarious. You walk in a door, take like 10 steps and sign in, take 5 steps and get a bag, take 3 steps and get a paper to fill out, you take like 12 steps to a chair, fill out the paper, take the previous 12 steps to turn in the paper and then take 20 steps to ANOTHER table, sign another paper then walk down a hallway to the office. In the office you talk to one girl, sign a few more papers then take 10 steps to talk to another girl to get your mailbox key and your room key. UGH!


Meet Cortney:
So finally get to my dorm room, open the door and there are four people inside... one happens to be my new roomie! Yay! Her name is Cortney and she's going to major in Criminal Justice. She is also a runner. She seems really cool so far. She's originally from Cali (I think they said something like Napa? But maybe I'm thinking someone else).


So that was all the new stuff for the day,
how was everyone else's day?

No comments:

Post a Comment