Saturday, September 4, 2010

September 4th, 2010: Till dinner

So today, I don't feel well. But luckily staying in bed gave me pleanty of time to finish my English essay that I wrote on the "bomb scare" at Crater

(My essay: "Community

We were separated into four different schools - among the big campus - but we were still supposed to call ourselves the Crater Comets because even though we're separated into four "groups", we're still part of the Crater campus. I'd like to know how it was going to be possible (to call ourselves Crater Comets) when there was so much hate and disrespect on this high school's campus? We had the “tree huggers and hippies” in school one, the “jocks, preps and geeks” in school two, the “hicks” in school three and the “emos, goths and theater nerds” in school four. This small school program was supposed to bring Crater together and make high school a better community when all it really did was separate us more and more... but, leave it to a bomb scare to make us realize that Crater High School is actually able to drop the stereotypes and just be there for each other.
March 3rd, 2010: fifteen minutes into the first period class... I’ve already been at school for a hour and a half, thanks to my early bird Chamber Choir class, so I’m already tired and counting down the hours till I get to go home but I still had a full day to get through. The substitute in my Health is taking attendance when a odd voice comes over the intercom. “All teachers on Crater campus take your class to the gym immediately.” This voice, which wasn’t the friendly voice of the lady in our office... or a voice of anyone on the Crater campus come to think of it, instead it was a recording and on repeat... all students are now panicked. We left our class room and see our principal running around, we hear cop cars and ambulances and to add to the fear there’s a S.W.A.T truck parked on the campus, in the middle of our court yard. Within five minutes at least 1,500 students are packed into the schools gym, but I can't find my small school then I realize it, we aren't separated into our small schools... why? I thought we hated each other, yet we're clumped together out of fear and compassion?
There’s “jocks” talking to “hicks”, there’s “emos” comforting crying “preps”. Is this really what Crater is like? I’m sitting in the bleachers, on the phone with my mom trying to find out what’s going on... I’m guessing its a senior prank of some sort... but as I sit there and look around I can’t see the separation, I see a community. We’ve all been in school with each other since pre-school, we all used to be friends, we used to share crayons and get in trouble for not sleeping during nap time! All that disappeared when we got into middle school and trying to concentrate on being “cool”, but here it is again. In a time of need, the support, encouragement and compassion is back. I’m speechless.
Community can be defined by the dictionary, but it can’t be understood until it is seen. I had been on teams, in clubs and with a group of people my whole life, but until this fake bomb (made out of a soda bottle and thrown into a trash can in the boys bathroom) scare in my high school... I was completely oblivious to what a community really is. Its a coming together of people, to support, care and love for one another especially in a time of need. Before any student knew what was going on there were tears out of fear and yelling out of being nervous, but most of all there was people trying to help calm them down. Community is never defined the same by everyone. I define community as being there for each other, as the Crater students were when some of us thought we were going to get killed... the next person might define community as a gathering of people in one place. You never know until you get four small parts of one big deal, finally acting as if we're all in this together and the stereotypes of high school don't matter... then a sign of community and an understanding of community really shines through the walls people built up.")

I went for a walk around campus to just get out of my dorm. Feel a little better now.

Apparently Casey and I are going to go to dinner: either Italian, Mexican or Chinese. Sounds like its adventure time. I'm slightly excited.


Also its UNLV Rebel's first football game so the campus is practically empty, and everyone will probably come back to campus and party: win or lose. Should be a long night, thankfully I don't have school on Monday so sleep will be great.

Wish I could go to the football game, I just don't want to drive. grr...
maybe next time?


Go Rebels... haha... funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment