Sunday, July 21, 2013

Haven't posted one of my school essays in a bit

I know essays aren't all that exciting, but when I'm kind of proud of them, I like to share them and I haven't shared any essays since I was back in Vegas... since this blog is about my school work I figured that even though this isn't my best essay, I wanted to share it because I'm studying a really interesting topic.



"Relationships

The three dimensions of love are passion, intimacy and commitment. Passion would more relate to a strong emotion, physiological arousal and is used a lot when referring to sexual desire and/or attraction. Intimacy is more concerned with affection and concern for a significant others' well being. Commitment is the choice between two individuals that they are fully dedicated to the relationship through thick and thin.
According to Sternberg's Triangular Theory of Love, each of these dimensions work together to form different levels of love. Passion and commitment would be fatuous love and only passion would make for an infatuated love. Infatuated love would be more like the love that is felt between “friends with benefits” because there isn't any intimacy or commitment to the relationship, but there is a lot of passion. Where as fatuous love would be a lot like a first “puppy love” experience in high school.
If a relationship only has commitment, it is considered an empty love. These types of loves are the ones that are often seen as “dead” relationships.
If all three dimensions are put into one, it is consummate love (or complete love). This is the most desired form of love but also the hardest to sustain. I see this love as being the kind that people envy from movies. Where it is enough just to be in the same room as the person an individual is “madly in love with” and their entire day is better. Sternberg's theory as to why this love is hard to sustain is simply because it is possible that any of the dimensions can decrease over time. People can “fall out of love” with each other. Though it is still possible to keep consummate love in tact, it is proven by the couples that we see celebrating their 40th, 50th, 60th (etc) wedding anniversary together. I feel it would just take a true commitment for consummate love to pan out, because with that commitment of “death do us part” comes a sense of honesty, trust and loyalty. That no matter what life throws at the couple, or the individuals involved, that they will overcome each obstacle hand in hand. That they will be honest with each other and fight till they reach an understanding.
I feel that people's attachment styles affect the types of love relationships because of how people mesh and work together. If you put an overly attached girl with a guy who likes his “me” or “guy” time, obviously that isn't going to work well. If an individual is looking for the life long love that is said to come with consummate love, and they are attracted to someone who only wants infatuated love, again it is rather obvious that it isn't going to work out, would probably get classified as empty love and will probably end rather quick. With one person wanting only passion and the other wanting commitment along with passion, the two individuals wont be on the same playing field or see eye to eye on things since they want and expect two different things from the relationship.
I also feel that attachment styles can be altered by life experiences. If a girl has grown up with a single mom but has seen guys come and go, I could see where her trusting a guy to stick around with her and fully commit to a relationship would be really scary and she wouldn't trust it. This would make it difficult to really commit to a relationship because the trust is not there or being shown. Same goes for a guy, if he has seen women come and go or has been taught to see women in a negative light, a relationship probably isn't as appealing. On the other hand, if an individual (guy or girl) grew up in a very loving home where love was shown and seen, then chances are, the individual might want that in their own life and seek that later on when they are ready.
In order for two people to be able to work together, there needs to be a common base with how they feel. I think a love can start as fatuous love and grow into consummate love with time and getting to know the individuals that are involved. Growing in love, I think, is a healthy stand point. The best relationships I have seen between two people didn't just magically happen like what is seen in movies. They first started as friends, built a strong foundation and then grew and worked from there.
As it says in our text, an ideal lover was rated high on all three components; friendship was rated high on intimacy and commitment, but low on passion; and a sibling relationship scored high on commitment, but low on intimacy and passion.” I feel that this shows what I had said that if people want different things, that they simply wont mesh together to make a strong relationship or love.
As a personal example, in high school, I thought I was madly in love with my best friend so one day I told him that I really liked him. He told me that he saw me more as a sister. If we had tried dating under those pretenses and knowing that we didn't feel the same, it would not have been fair to us and it would have been an empty love with no emotion. I would have strained myself and worked really hard to get him to feel the same, and his emotions towards me probably wouldn't have changed. Whereas, if we both felt that “puppy love” spark, there would have been a reason to at least try for a small relationship because we would have had a common base to work off of rather than just one person being into the relationship.
In order to have that “death do us part” love, there needs to be an even playing field and the two individuals seeing eye to eye. Willing to commit and work with each other and tying in the characteristics of intimate relationships that were brought up by Miller, Perlman and Brehm. I feel like the six characteristics (knowledge, trust, caring, interdependence, mutuality and commitment) are the perfect things to have as the foundation of consummate love.
In my opinion, to truly and fully love another- you have to understand each other, trust each other that they wont get hurt, care for each other, let their lives become one and have the intent to stay together through every obstacle big or small. With tying these into Sternberg's theory, it makes consummate love seem a little more real rather than something that we will always just see in movies."
 

2 comments:

  1. This is a good essay Car...I see the different ways my David and I have been...I love David with all three... he has flitted around me with all three at times but never landed...gives me something to contemplate...:-/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Car, I just wanted to let you know I am taking a short hiatus from blogging, I hope I don't miss one of your entries, however; I will catch up with you when I get back... I have a lot of things I have to deal with... I hope things are going well with you...:)

    ReplyDelete