Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Motivations and motivation theories

The theories of motivation are instinct, incentive, drive, arousal and humanistic. Each theory is based on different personalities. A person can be driven by their motivation or even lack there of. For me, I am driven by my humanistic motivation the most. This motivation is also seen as Maslow's hierarchy of needs. This means that my motivation lays in basic needs to the need to fulfill my personal potential. Knowing that I did my best or better, is enough to drive and motivate me to do whatever it is I need to do.
Other than humanistic motivation, I think the other one I agree with most is the theory brought by Henry Murray. His theory also deals with human needs, but more in response to other things like past experiences and interaction. Being driven by individual needs is a very common motivation. Motivation to drive careful to avoid harm, and motivation to find a significant other for affection and sex. I think that most people see them as life goals and expectations rather than motivations. It has become common that people feel the need to get married, because “everyone is doing it”, but really its an instinct and, in a sense, a way of survival.
Out of the motivations, I can't seem to bring myself to fully believe in the intimacy motivation. Though I know people want and almost crave warmth and love, I wouldn't see how this would motivate people in any way other than to jump into a relationship. The want for a relationship can motivate people to do certain things like clean themselves up so they look more presentable and attractive to the opposite sex, but I do not think that intimacy is a drive for people do actually better their lives.
Though different theories can affect different people in different ways and each motivation can deal with certain aspect of life, but I think I stand strongly next to the motivations that deal with life, rather than just aspects of life. 

I know this isn't really about life, but I've been feeling unmotivated lately, and last week's class work was on motivation. So writing this really helped me realize what I need to focus on. 

1 comment:

  1. I am lacking motivation too Car... it's hard to get it back one it leaves.... I so need to change this in myself... somehow....

    ReplyDelete